Nicole Colón's Journal

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Temple is not what I was expecting it to be. During the first week of the semester I was completely unhappy and wanted to switch back to Bloomfield right away. Everyone told me to give it a chance, that I was adjusting and what I was feeling was completely normal so I decided to stick it out, but nothing has changed outside of my comfort level. It still just feels wrong. I am going to give it another semester just to see if anything improves, but if nothing changes I am seriously going to consider transferring back. Academically, I am completely unfulfilled. In almost all of my classes the professors use power point presentations and just read from their notes in every class. What the fuck is that? It's so unstimulating and boring. I need more of a challenge. I feel like I'm back in high school in the sense that I go to class and do my assignments just to get the grade. It means nothing to me though, it's like everything stops at the door, you know? At Bloomfield it meant more. In a lot of my classes there aren't even a decent amount of class discussion either. For example, in my International Politics course, the students will sometimes start debating a topic and the professor will be like "okay, let's get back to this," referring to the power point slides. How are you supposed to get the full academic experience if you can't even share and hear the opinions, questions, and views of others? I feel like I have not grown at all since I've been there. I know it's "Temple" and it's supposed to be a great school so I am hope it's not just running off of its name these days. Yes, I realize that its name and prestige are a positive thing as far as what it can do for me in the future, but things like that never mattered to me. I need more substance than that and I will not stay somewhere just for its reputation if I'm not truly happy. There is no way that I would stay there for superficial reasons. At this point, Temple can't touch the experience I had at Bloomfield and I don't see much room to grow. Something definitely has to change. I praise God that my living situation has been truly blessed and I pray that it will continue to be blessed. Hopefully, next semester will be great, otherwise, I'll be back at Bloomfield.

1 Comments:

  • Hi there. I was waiting for quite a while now to read about your experiences at your new university. Then got a thought that you might have actually abandoned this abode of yours on the web.

    Accidentally, I checked out your page today while blogrolling and found this update. Unfortunate that the place is not upto what your expectations are, but, maybe with time, things will change for good.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home