Nicole Colón's Journal

Wednesday, October 01, 2003

I got bored with all of my previous posts so I decided to delete them. I'm just going to start this whole blog thing over.

On June 24, 2003 I graduated from high school! It was a perfect day. My college plans changed once again. After planning on going to the University of Hartford, to Pace University, to the possibility of going to Union County College, I finally ended up at Bloomfield College in Bloomfield, NJ. I got a letter from Pace two weeks before the beginning of the semeser about housing...I didn't get any. Since I didn't have housing and I didn't get financial aid, I decided that it would be in my best interest to withdrawal from Pace, difficult as it was for me to do. I called up Hunter College, Rutgers, Montclair, and just about every other school in the area to see if they were accepting applicants, but they weren't. Then I found out about Bloomfield College through Fastweb. They were still accepting applicants, so after speaking with an admissions counselor on the phone I submitted an application even though I wasn't really expecting to get in. On August 27th I got a call from Bloomfield. I got accepted! As soon as I hung up the phone I started jumping up and down and screaming. I was so happy! It felt like things were beginning to fall into place. Classes started on the third, but since everything happened so last minute, I didn't get to start until the fifth. The first two days were a little tough for me since I was running around trying to get everything in order for the semester without knowing what I was doing, where anything was, or who anyone was. I actually cried the day before I started classes and almost gave up on Bloomfield because I was so frustrated and felt so disoriented. Mom told me to give it a chance before I gave up so I did. I am so glad I took her advice. On my first day of classes I had Math and English which were great. I had such a good feeling about Bloomfield in general that day. Although things didn't start out exactly how I had imagined, I am really happy that I ended up in Bloomfield. I love my classes, my professors are great, and I've met a lot of people. Even though I sometimes wonder what it would have been like had I gone to Pace, I know things worked out for the best. Things have been going pretty smoothly so I think it's going to be a good year. I'm still unsure about whether or not I'm going to transfer to a different school next year, but I'm going to take things one step at a time.

I got a car! In August I went to the auto auction Uncle Carlos recommended and I got a black 1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT coupe. I love it. It had everything I wanted plus low mileage. It's the perfect car for me. It's nice to be able to go anywhere and have a car that I can call my own.

Just this past weekend I took a trip up to CT to visit Janine at the University of Hartford. I had a great weekend with her. It would have been so much fun to go to college with her, but UHA just wasn't the place for me. I like visiting her there but I can't see myself going there.

Paul sent me an email today and it turns out that after his vacation in San Diego he's coming home for good. I was pretty surprised because I thought he had two years left with the navy. He said that he's going to start school and work once he comes home. I'm happy for him, it seems like he's happy and has everything together. I can't wait to hang out with him once he comes back to the Bronx.

Omar and I are going to the movies this Saturday. We met outside of Pace on the last day of orientation while I was waiting for Dad and Eduardo to come pick me up. He seems like a nice guy. We'll see what happens.